Searching for Nigerian meat pie recipe?
You're in the right place because this post shows you how to make the perfect succulent Nigerian meat pie step-by-step (With and without an oven)
Let's get started
There are 3 Major steps involved in making meat pie, they are:
- Making the dough for the meat pie
- Making the filling for the meat pie
- Wrapping the filling in the dough & Baking.
Let’s start from the top:
Meat Pie Dough Recipe
Here's how to make a perfect shortcrust dough for your meat pie:
Ingredients for shortcrust dough:
- 3¾ cups OR 480 g of flour
- 226 g OR 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 120 ml OR ½ cup of cold evaporated milk or cold water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder (optional)
- 2 eggs for egg wash.
Procedure for making shortcrust dough:
- Add your 480 g of flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder (optional), 1 teaspoon of salt, sugar (optional) and 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg in a food processor or bowl large enough to contain your dough mix
- Divide your butter in bits, add and mix together with your hands if using a bowl to get both the flour and butter well incorporated.
- Add your beaten egg and mix together. Then in little bits, add your cold evaporated milk and combine well with hands till a stretchy, soft dough is formed
- Put your dough in a zip-lock bag or any bag of sorts and refrigerate for about 20-30 minutes. (The longer it stays in the refrigerator, the better the crust).
Let’s quickly look at useful tips for making a delightful shortcrust dough (Shortcrust dough is a term used to describe a dough used in making pies, tarts etc...our major focus is on the pie).
- Using milk instead of water makes the dough a lot more crust. You can also use a 50/50 mixture of water and milk Or just water.
- The proportion of flour to butter/margarine makes or breaks your dough; that is the ratio of flour to butter/margarine. For example, for every 2 cups of flour, half a cup of butter should be used. Some people swear by just margarine while others have a mixture of both butter and margarine. I think what’s important is getting or buying a really good baking butter.
- Adding egg to your dough-making is optional but it can act as a binding agent.
- Well, I’m not a fan of sugar but sugar adds a bit of sweetness to your dough.
- Baking powder might or might not be optional. For me, it isn’t essential.
- Besides white flour, other healthier flour options can be used like oat flour, wheat flour and coconut flour and so on.
Meat Pie Filling Recipe
Here's how to make a mouthwatering filling for your meat pie
Ingredients for meat filling:
- 2 medium-sized Irish potatoes
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1.1 lbs or 500 g of minced meat
- 1 tablespoon of dried thyme
- 2 Bullion cubes (or according to preference).
- Salt to taste
- Chili powder to taste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of any thickening agent of choice in warm water.
Procedure for making meat pie filling:
- Dice your onions, carrots, green pepper and Irish potatoes after washing.
- Heat up oil in a saucepan and sauté your onions until it’s translucent. Then add your green pepper and sauté for about 2 mins.
- Add your minced meat and keep stirring till it turns from that pink colour to a brown colour.
- Add your thyme, chilli powder, salt and add water in bits until the water is on the same level with the mix. Stir, check for seasoning and add your bouillon cubes if needed
- Then add your carrots and potatoes and bring to a boil for 5-10 mins. Check to see if both are softened then put off heat and if not, continue till both have softened.
- Then, add your thickening agent of choice (I used 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in ½ cup of warm water) and stir into the mix.
In the process of making your meat filling, there are several ways/ ingredients that can be used as a thickening agent. You can either use the conventional white flour in water to make a paste OR use cornstarch to make a paste OR use cheese OR make a roux (more on that later).
Making a Roux is basically heating up butter in low heat and putting in flour till you get it in whatever consistency you want. You can find more info on how to make Roux here.
Now we have the basics out of the way, let’s combine all the pieces together to make the perfect Nigerian meat pie recipe.
How To Make Meat Pie (With & Without Oven)
Nigerian Meat pie Recipe
Recipe by Fitnigerian
This Nigerian meat pie recipe is made using both the traditional oven baked method & another less known method without an oven (using a gas cooker or stove and so on.)
5 from 26 reviews
Ingredients For The Dough:
Ingredients For The Filling:
Directions For Making The Dough:
Directions For Making The Fillings:
Directions For Final Meat Pie Preparation (With Oven):
Video (with OVEN):
Directions For Final Meat Pie Preparation (Without Oven):
Video (without Oven):
Share this recipe:
Want to learn how to make pap, akamu, or ogi? Then you're welcome because ...
I'm sure we can all relate to this: After being at an event for ...
Nigerian Meat Pie Recipe (Easy & Perfect)
Searching for Nigerian meat pie recipe?
Recipe Yield: 12 servings
Preparation Time: PT15M
Cooking Time: PT45M
Total Time: PT1H
- Unsalted butter
- Evaporated milk
- Ground nutmeg
- Baking powder
Now It's Your Turn
Tell me in the comment section below which Nigerian meat pie recipe method you would try first.
Is it the method with the oven or the method without the oven?