Supplements — as they are called — are just “supplements”,
NOT substitutes for eating actual HEALTHY foods.
They don’t do anything on their own, they can only HELP!
Now, before I give out the only weight loss supplements you need, we need to get a few things straight here first!
You’ve learnt some "fun facts" about supplements and supplement companies, then we’re ready to get rolling.
So it time to answer the question...
What supplements should You be taking?
Well, If you’re expecting to see supplements like Cambodia, Raspberry Ketones, Green coffee extract and so on, then...
I'm Sorry to disappoint you.
Wait! Did you seriously think I would recommend unsafe or useless weight loss drugs? Of course not.
Speaking of which…
How Did I Come Up With The List Of Best Weight Loss Supplements?
Simple. They just had to meet these requirements:
- The supplements must be completely safe — any slight chance of it being unsafe…. It didn’t make my list of my “weight loss supplements”
- They must be scientifically proven with real-life results to be useful for the body somehow.
- They must be beneficial to your health
That said, without further ado here are the Only Weight Loss Supplements You Ever Need:
1. Fish Oil
It might be the closest thing we have to a “miracle pill” (you’ll see why soon)
Fish oil is basically oil found in some fatty fish like salmon.
What makes fish oil so “powerful” is because it contains omega-3 fatty acids particularly eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
When you hear people talk about “good fats” they are mostly talking about the EPA and DHA found in omega-3
Our typical everyday diets seriously lack in these great fatty acids (EPA&DHA) that’s why EVERYbody including doctors, nutritionist, dieticians, trainers and of course me recommends “fish oil supplements”.
Before I get to the part how fish oil can help you lose weight,
let's quickly look at the endless benefit of fish oil (AKA miracle pill)
- Boost brain power
- Makes skin and hair more beautiful
- Help reduce joint pain
- Helps improve focus and concentration
- Boost your immune system
- Helps improve memory
- Decreases risk of cancer
- Decreases the risk of heart attack and stroke
- And much much more!
I can keep going all day!—Doubt me?! — Alright, fish oil also….
- Has an anti-ageing effect
- Promotes weight loss and maintenance
- Reduces menstrual conditions
- Lower cholesterol levels
- Improves various skin conditions
- Helps to build muscles
- Works as an anti-inflammatory
- Reduces/prevent Diabetes
- And much much more!
Still not convinced about the power of fish oil… then watch this video from CNN below:
Where was I again?...Yea I remember….
How Does Fish Oil Help You Lose Weight?
If you’re on this page, you’re likely more concerned about how fish oil can help you lose weight. here are a few ways….
- Promotes fat oxidation
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Helps to increase the effectiveness of your exercises
- It has an Anti-Lipogenic effect – which means it decreases fat storage
- And an anti-catabolic effect – this means it prevents muscle breakdown
- Increase thermogenesis – which means it helps you’ll naturally burn more calories dailyHelps sends a signal from your stomach to your brain that you’re full when you’ve eaten enough (which some people definitely need if you know what I mean! LOL!)
- Improve calorie partitioning – this simply means that fish oil helps your body to burn more of your stored body fat instead of muscle tissues for energy (which we definitely want)
And much more!
How Should You Take Fish Oil?
Fish oil supplement should Not be taken on an empty stomach instead it should be taken with your “meals”.
I said meals cos I assume you’ll be taking more than one capsule a day to reach the daily required dosage.
Speaking of dosage….
How Much Fish Oil Should You Take Daily?
According to research and recommendations from experts, for an average adult
Optimum fish oil dosage is between 1 – 3 grams of combined EPA and DHA daily
Note this: we are mostly concerned about omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA ingredients in the fish oil supplement because they are the ingredients that provide all the goodies! (benefits) we’ve been talking about all day!
How many capsules you take daily depends on the EPA & DHA content of each capsule of the brand of fish oil supplement you’re taking.
Just look at the back of the bottle of your fish oil supplement where the ingredient label is, to know the amount of EPA & DHA of each capsule.
From the above label, you need between 2 to 4 capsules to meet the recommended daily dosage
That said we need to be cautious.
A Big Caution About Fish Oil Supplements
Just like any other supplements there are a lot of low-quality synthetic fish oil supplement (contains low amount of EPA& DHA) that are all over the place
So when choosing a brand of fish oil supplements to buy be very cautious!!!
Here Are Some Things To Look Out For When Choosing Your Fish Oil Supplement1
- Try to find fish oil supplements in “Triglyceride form”
- Certified certified and CERTIFIED— always use certified food supplements - it is your quality guarantee.
- Make sure that the supplement is made in the USA or Europe, the ones from china are usually low-quality!
- Make sure it contains DHA (Docosahexaenoic) Acid in it — DHA is an expensive but important ingredient — Cheap, low-quality manufacturers avoid it.
- You know that high-quality fish is expensive. Quality fish oil capsules should not be cheap. If that would put you to an uncomfortable situation financially, please look for another supplement.
Side note: number 2 to 5 on the list are the “exact words” of a licensed dietician.
So Which Brand Do I Recommend You Buy?
I strongly recommend the Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega brand because It obviously pass the 5 criteria above for choosing a perfect fish oil supplements.
And countless of doctors, dieticians and nutrition experts recommend it.
A couple of lab test comparing different fish oil supplement brands for quality, purity and if they actually contain accurate amounts of total omega-3, EPA, and DHA claimed on the label — Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega was one of the top brands
Yea one last thing...
It doesn’t have that “fishy” aftertaste that comes from taking fish oil supplements.
The downside is that it’s a bit pricey which is not too bad for its level of quality!
If you get Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega you should be taking a dosage of at least 2 capsules or at most 5 capsules (except your doctor says otherwise!)
Any Alternatives To Fish Oil Supplements?
Yes, they are alternatives:
Some other supplement high is the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA such as "krill oil "have been gaining a lot of attention and recommendations (more of that in another post).
For now, let’s move onto the next weight loss supplement on the list...
2. Whey Protein Powder
Whey Protein powder is simply protein in form of powder — when you add any form of liquid (like water, milk etc) to it then it becomes a protein shake.
Just like any other protein source (like fish, meat, egg ETC), it provides all the goodies protein has to offer. However, the real beauty about protein powder comes from the fact that it’s a very easy, quick and convenient way to consume a high amount of protein.
It requires no cooking, frying, grilling or any of that kind of stuff!
All it requires is mixing a few scoops of protein powder with some form of liquid (like water, milk etc) and viola! ….. you have yourself a drinkable high protein meal.
Before I talk about how protein powder can help you lose weight I need to quickly stress this:
I recommend you should get the majority of your protein intake from high protein foods (chicken, fish, turkey, eggs etc.)— protein powder supplement should just be supplements (add-on) not a replacement for healthy protein real foods.
Now we’ve gotten that out of the way here is…
How Whey Protein Can Help You Lose Weight
Protein powders have no “special powers” on its own to make you lose weight—it’s the high protein content that makes it important.
Your daily proteins intake is a Huge part of your diet plan especially when you’re trying to lose weight cause of reasons like:
- It ensures weight loss is mainly fat not muscles (what we want!)
- Protein also helps you build and maintain muscles, which is important!
- It's satiating —in other words filling— which helps in controlling hunger
- It helps building, repairing and proper function of muscles, organs, blood, skin, hair etc (i.e overall health and function of your body)
Now we can see how cool and important protein is in our diet.
That’s why protein powder is a highly recommended weight loss supplement to conveniently make up for the high amount of protein we need to consume per day.
There are different types of protein powder available, the most popular ones’ being...
Whey and Casein protein (which are both gotten from milk)
I won’t go into much details about them in this post, but for now what you need to know is that Whey protein is perfectly fine if you’re trying to lose weight.
When And How Should You Take Protein Powder?
It can be taken with or without other foods — at any time of the day as needed to meet your daily required protein intake.
Yea I almost forgot...
You should also get a shaker bottle because its makes mixing of your protein shakes effortless.
If you are wondering what a shaker bottle is:
It’s just a plastic cup with a cover and some type of “blending thing” inside. They are really cheap and useful.
If you don’t have one yet I recommend you pick up this one, I use. Blender Bottle.
Now let's move on to the final supplement on this list
I’m pretty sure we all know what multivitamins are already and are surprised to find them on a list of so-called weight loss supplements.
Relax it will make sense soon!
Well, for starters, multivitamins are supplements that contain essential vitamins and minerals our bodies need to keep us alive and healthy
These vitamins and mineral normally are supposed to be supplied through our everyday diet. However, it's no secret that most people don’t eat well enough.
So taking multivitamins is an easy and convenient way of making up for those vitamins and minerals we are lacking in our diet.
I know you might be wondering:
How Do Multivitamins Help You Lose Weight?
The answer simple.
It helps control food cravings.
You see, lack of enough nutrients in the body (especially trace minerals) can lead to uncontrollable massive food cravings.
So multivitamin can help prevent that.
Which Multivitamins Should You Take?
There are a couple of good multivitamin brands on the market, however, there is no “perfect one”
The multivitamin you should choose should depend on various factors like your own specific needs, the quantity and quality of mineral and vitamin they contain and price (nothing too cheap or too expensive)
For specific brands I don’t have any recommendation cos as I said depends on your personal needs, you can ask a pharmacist for advice.
- If your goal is to lose weight, I can assure you 100% that theses are the only supplements you may need, most other weight-loss supplements are a complete waste of your time, money and can be dangerous to your health.
- The supplements I recommended (Fish Oil, Protein Powder and Multivitamin) are absolutely safe for an average healthy adult. If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or taking any medications, please consult a doctor before using any of the above supplements. Discontinue use and consult a doctor immediately if adverse reactions occur.
What To Do Now
First I want you to share this post with your friends and family on social media, you might save someone’s life and who about to buy one of these dangerous supplements, thank you!
Leave a comment if you have any question —or have experience with any supplement in general that people should be aware of — or just let me know which ones you'll start taking